Friday, July 5, 2013

Storage Cabinet / Media Console **NEW Paint Line** ("Plaster" Paint)

There was a door on this cabinet, but it broke en route from thrift shop to my house (which is okay because it was an ugly, dated door anyway). 

Worth noting:  I had recently learned of a local company that sells what they call "plaster paint" (I won't name the actual company because I don't wanna hate...the lady that sells these paints was really very nice and accommodating to me).   When I asked her what the difference between plaster paint and ASCP was, she told me that there was really no significant differences in the actual products. Plaster paint is (apparently) the American-version of ASCP, it comes in 3 different size options (compared to Annie Sloan's 2), and is a few bucks cheaper (I'm assuming because it's manufactured here in the USA?)

I loved the idea of supporting a Made in the USA version without having to compromise on the quality of a  product that I have come to adore (and who doesn't want to save a few bucks in the process?).

This cabinet is my first experience with plaster paint (not to be confused with chalk paint - because there IS a significant difference, in my humble opinion).  I'm 2.5 coats into painting just the inside of the cabinet at this point and I hate to say it (but I'm gonna because I'm notoriously - at times brutally - honest by nature and you don't do anybody any favors by lying to them - particularly if they're looking for comparison reviews on the two types of paint, so... ughhhh I'm gonna say it ....)

I'm not happy.

see?
(I'm really sorry really nice plaster-paint-lady!)
Compared to ASCP, the coverage is clumpier, unevenly textured once applied, but not so thick that adding a bit of water will help it. I don't know, it's weird. (Perhaps if I had started with plaster paint and then tried to work with chalk paint, I might feel differently...but I doubt it. What I love most about chalk paint is the versatility of the formula and ease of use, particularly for inexperienced painters)

Also worth noting is the smell. ASCP has virtually no smell, whereas the plaster paint does smell very much like traditional paint (canned paint, not spray paint). 

I did buy a few colors in  both pint and quart sizes and will try to use them. I'm thinking I'll either mix a bit of the plaster paint with the chalk paint to play around with color and consistency.  I might also be able to use the plaster paint as a top or "finishing" coat if I mix it with a bit of water and layer it over a nice healthy coat of the chalk paint. Whatever I do, notes will be kept here for my reference (and yours too). You're welcome.

The second coat of paint causes the first coat to peel off, despite the fact that the first coat has had a few days to dry. Very frustrating...

Worked through the challenges, vowed never to cheat on AS again, and here 'tis!  (I added some ASCP accented areas in Florence - couldn't resist)  Not sure yet where I'm going to put this. There is a hole in the back that I can take an Exacto (sp?) knife to should I need to feed electrical/cable cords through it.


I don't know what's up with the formatting on this post...no luck troubleshooting why it's acting like this?? Grr... #plasterpaintfail

No comments:

Post a Comment